Almont Vlg Real Estate
Almont was first settled in 1828 by James Deneen. It received a post office in 1835 named Bristol, for Oliver Bristol, the second permanent settler. The village was platted as Newburg in 1836, and renamed Almont in 1846.
James Thompson, who donated the town clock that is located in the steeple of the First Congregational Church, is credited with proposing the name "Almont" in 1845 to honor the Mexican general, Juan Almonte. This interpretation of the naming of the town is mentioned in a newspaper story, and later recorded in Hildamae Bowman's book on the history of Almont (Almont,The Tale of Then and Now, 1985).